Navient also shares customer information with affiliates and outside companies. Navient’s Privacy Notice describes our principles and practices regarding how we share customer information with affiliates and outside companies.
California Privacy Rights
Information We Collect
Personal Information We Collect Directly from You
We collect Personal Information when you voluntarily choose to provide such information directly to us, such as when you register for access to the Site, fill out an application for a loan or credit, create an account with us, manage your account on our Site, contact us with inquiries, request information or materials from us, or otherwise interact with our Site. Such information may include your name, phone number, email, address, social security number, date of birth, information regarding your academic record, and online account information such as a username and password.
Personal Information We Receive from Third Parties
We may collect and receive Personal Information about you from third parties, such as our affiliates, joint-marketing partners, consumer reporting agencies, or third-party data providers. Such information may include demographic information, income or credit information, information regarding your academic record, or information about the products and services that we believe may interest you.
Log Data and Other Information
We and our affiliates and our third-party service providers may automatically collect and store certain information when you visit or use the Site, including information such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device you use to connect to the Internet, browser type, device type, mobile device ID (UDID), screen size and resolution, Internet Service Provider (ISP), the Site you came from and exited to, operating system, user agent string, Internet connection type, links you click, searches conducted on the Site, date/time stamp, and pages visited. To obtain such information, we may use logs or applications that recognize your computer and gather information about its online activity.
Cookies and Other Technologies
How We Use The Information That We Collect
We and our affiliates or our third-party service providers may use the Personal Information that we collect from you or from third parties, transaction information, and Other Information that we or our third-party service providers collect from our server logs, cookies and other technologies for a variety of purposes, including to develop, offer, deliver and improve our products and services, to offer products and services of our affiliates, marketing partners, and other companies, to process your refinance applications or other transactions, to fulfill legal and regulatory requirements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. For example, we may use the information to:
- Operate the Site;
- Deliver products and services to people who use the Site, including to allow you to apply for refinancing or other loans, to service your loans, and to provide you with firm offers of credit;
- Understand how visitors use our Site, assist us with resolving visitors' questions regarding the use of our Site, and determine whether the content on our Site is effective;
- Improve our Site and service offerings;
- Communicate with you, notify you about important updates or changes to Navient’s products and services, and address relevant inquiries or complaints;
- Market and promote products and services offered by Navient, our affiliates, and others, both online and offline, consistent with applicable law. For example, we may use your Personal Information, such as your email address or phone number, to contact you about products or information we think might be of interest to you. Although we hope you find our promotional communications of interest, you may opt out of receiving our marketing emails by following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of each marketing email communication. Further information about Navient’s principles and practices regarding the sharing of customer information with affiliates and outside companies can be found in our Privacy Notice;
- Personalize your experience on the Site and customize the communications and advertisements you receive from us, our affiliates and others, including as discussed in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Interest Based Advertising”;
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements; or
- Let us know which emails and online advertisements have been opened by recipients to understand the effectiveness of our marketing and other communications and to make those communications more useful and interesting to you.
Our Disclosure of Your Personal and Other Information
We may share your Personal and Other Information with other parties for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Service Providers and Business or Marketing Partners: We may disclose Personal and Other Information to our service providers and business partners, who use it to perform tasks on Navient’s behalf or for joint marketing efforts. Among other things, service providers help us manage and improve the Site, provide Navient services, mail firm offers of credit and promotional materials to you, provide payment processing services, provide debt collection services, and administer your accounts. Our service providers may collect, process, and retain information about you directly on behalf of Navient. Our service providers are prohibited from using the information we provide to them for their own purposes or for the purposes of any other entity.
Consistent With Our Financial Privacy Notice: We may also share our customer’s Personal and Other Information with affiliates and outside companies as described in our Privacy Notice.
Our Lending Partners: The loans you obtain through the Site are provided by our affiliate Earnest Operations LLC (“Earnest”). As a member of the Navient family of companies, Earnest’s principles and practices regarding the sharing of customer information with affiliates and outside companies are described in our Privacy Notice.
Legal Purposes: We also may use or share your Personal or Other Information with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- to comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, or other legal process;
- to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party or for risk management purposes;
- to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or
- to facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets.
Aggregated or De-Identified Information: From time to time, Navient may share aggregated or de-identified information about users of the Site or Navient’s products and services, such as sharing reports on the usage of the Site or Navient’s services for regulatory reporting or marketing purposes.
Third-Party Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising
The use of online tracking mechanisms by third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies. You may remove yourself from the targeted advertising of companies within the Network Advertising Initiative by opting out here, or of companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance program by opting out here. Please note that the opt-out will apply only to the specific browser or device from which you opt out, and therefore you will need to opt out separately on all of your browsers and devices. If you delete or reset your cookies, change browsers, or use a different device, any opt-out cookie or tool may no longer work and you will have to opt out again.
Some browsers have a “do not track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. At this time, we do not respond to browser “do not track” signals, but you may opt out of interest-based advertising of companies within the Network Advertising Initiative and for companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance by visiting the opt-out pages described above. Please see the About Our Ads page for additional information about the ways in which we may display ads to users while on our Site.
Reviewing and Updating Your Information
In our information technology systems environment, Navient maintains commercially reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect your personal information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is foolproof, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal or other information.
The Site is not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not intend to collect personal information from children under 13 years of age. If we learn that we have collected this information from a child under the age of 13, we will promptly take all reasonable steps to delete the data from our system except when required by statute or regulation to maintain for record keeping purposes.
P.O. Box 9150
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9150
Hours of operation: Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., ET.
NaviRefi loans are made by Earnest Operations LLC, a member of the Navient family of companies.